Monday 21 July 2008

Resting Heart Rate Record

Posted by Obsession on Friday, November 10, 2006. Visit Obsession's BodyDaemon Journal.

For the next 5 weeks, a cycle of my training, I will monitor my resting heart rate, taking it whilst still in bed as close to waking as possible. I will be taking it with a Polar Heart Rate Monitor. The purpose of this exercise is to determine whether my RHR can be an indicator of overtraining.


To sum up, I will record:


Heart Rate, Time of Waking, Whethere I was Woken by my Alarm or Not, General Level of Fatigue during day %


Results:


Average Overall HR = 43.86


Average HR when < 6 Hours Slept = 44


Average HR when 6 Hours Slept = 44.67


Average HR when 7 Hours Slept = 44.2


Average HR when 8 Hours Slept = 43.6


Average HR when not woken by alarm = 44.44


Average HR when woken by alarm = 43.75


Average HR when woken at 5:30am = 41.2


Average HR when woken from 7am - 7:45am = 45.71


Average HR when woken from 8am - 8:45am = 43.25


Average HR when Fatigue <= 10% = 42.45


Average HR when Fatigue = 15% = 43.25


Average HR when Fatigue = 20-30% = 43.63


Average HR when Fatigue = >= 35% = 49.75


Conclusion:


No noticable difference was found in HR in relation to how many hours were slept, in relation to waking up at different times, or whether or not I was woken up by an alarm.


There was, however, a small difference in the HR between fatigue levels <35% and =>35%. Although there weren't many instances of fatigue =>35%, I believe that the results are still pertinent.


Ultimately though, the results aren't clear enough to warrant measuring HR for signs of overtraining on a day-to-day basis. To keep doing it for a measurement over time would be interesting, put not interesting and applicable enough for me to it this way.

No comments: