Monday 21 July 2008

IN THE BEGINNING...

Posted by Obsession on Monday, August 21, 2006. Visit Obsession's BodyDaemon Journal.

I just lost 3kg!


Well actually, that's not such a great thing. I've been trying to lose some body-fat for the past 8 weeks, and although I'm now 3kg lighter, the abs are showing only slightly more than they were 2 months ago.


Upon reading Dr. John Berardi's article on t-nation: The Winning Formula, (http://www.t-nation.com/readTopic.do?id=460250), it's pretty clear how badly planned my program has been. I thought that I could combine my cardio sessions (4/wk, 20min ea) with functional exercises ~ 15RM and still keep my muscle mass. How wrong I was.


This was after gaining ~ 3kg lifting heavy for 6 weeks. Most of the sets that I did were to failure, so I burnt out pretty quickly. When I get back into lifting heavy, I'm definitely going to keep 80% of my sets under failure.


The goal: to decrease my bodyfat % to a point where I'm happy with the way my abs show whilst keeping as much muscle as humanly possible. This should be a fairly short-term goal.


And before anybody mentions the fact that I should be bulking up now that I've fallen back under the 70kg mark, I'll point you all in the direction of Lyle McDonald's article "Initial Body Fat & Body Composition Changes" (www.bodybuilding.com/fun/core3.htm) and just say that I also want to prove to myself that I can do it.

No comments: