Wednesday 14 January 2009

My hand / wrist RSI problem - update

Posted by jim on Saturday, January 10, 2009. Visit jim's BodyDaemon Journal.
Found out a little more about what's going on with my hand.

Apparently I have mid-carpal instability. When I was younger I broke my arm and since this was during adolescence, apparently the growth plates hadn't fused and the bone healed 'flat' (it should be curved).

As a result my wrist subluxes all the time which is stressing out the ligaments and leading to instability.

Up until now this hadn't caused me pain, but now it seems to be. This is likely a result of some/all of the following:
  • I haven't been lifting due to my shoulder injury thus have lost a significant amount of forearm muscle and strength.

  • Due to the shoulder injury (right) I've been using my left hand more

  • I've been doing an awful lot of keyboard work over the last 18 months, more than usual

  • Chronic build-up of inflammation

I was advised that at some point in the future I'll probably need corrective surgery, but this doesn't have to happen for a while, certainly not in the next year or two.

Here's a link with some more information about mid carpal instability (warning: Graphic images of surgery are there, don't look if you are squeamish)

Fortunately it does't feel as bad at the moment, and using a Microsoft Ergonomic Keyboard really seems to be helping:





No comments: